Friday, January 25, 2013

Valentines Day Cards in a non traditional sense- Unity Stamp Co.

I think we all can agree that my style of crafting is not exactly... well traditional. I have grown to really love what I do and through the process I have come to the realization that I tend to lean towards the artsy, colorful and re-purposed style of crafting... and I couldn't be happier.

I am trying to expand my horizons, as I have found that the reason that I do lean towards the artsy distressed style is not because clean and simple couldn't be a style I create... more or less to draw or cut a straight line kinda frightens me. I hide my mistakes with paint, flowers and inks... lol. But I am going to try and create some simpler designs because I love love love the look of it.

Today I created some non-traditional "Not yo' momma's" Valentines Day cards. These cards were for examples at CHA, of the New Crafters Inks by Clearsnap Inc. Both of these greeting cards were created using my new background stamps from Unity Stamp Co.


4 YOU greeting card

Products used: cardstock (Bazzill Basics), Inks, Glitter, and embossing powder (Clearsnap Inc), Stamps (Liz Hicks Studios for Unity Stamp Co.), Pen (Sakura of America), sequin and vintage paper (Unknown), Dry adhesive (Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L) and wet adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)



Foreground and background: use rich colors to create your focal point like I did using Collage of Digits here. I added some visual interest to the background by layering my stamps over tinted vintage paper. Using Dinged Dots and I.Kat along the side helps to break up the boldness of the main stamp.

 
Layer Colors and Patterns: The happening trend right now in fashion is not only color blocking BUT also blocking with complimentary patterns. Use analogous or complimentary colors with my stamps to create beautiful layered effects like you see above. I used three different colors and 3 different stamps to create this colorful collage.


Isolate a number and use it to your benefit: Here I added glittered embossing powder to the #4 to use it for my sentiment.


 Love You Card

Products used: Cardstock (Bazzill Basics), Inks and embossing powder (Clearsnap Inc.), Stamps (Liz Hicks Studios for Unity Stamp Co.), Pen (Sakura of America), Punchinella and Vintage paper (unknown), Dry adhesive (Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L) and wet adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)


Make a bold impression: Use a repetitive pattern (Like the hearts here) in bold colors to allow the stamped background to fade. Taking the visual interest off of the background with this bold heart pattern allows the viewer to see the hearts first and notice the background secondary, which translates really well as perceived depth.

Outline to define: Use a dark pen to outline letters or patterns that may otherwise get lost in the background.
Since this post IS a part of our Launch Party with UNITY STAMP CO. I want to remind you of our giveaways taking place till February 2nd 2013. Check them out here. 
I used ALL 4 of the background stamps on the first card and Dinged Dots & my alphabet on the second.




These background stamps are on sale for only $8.99 AND my Alphabet is only $20 right now. To add to the amazing prices... $1 of every sale goes to help Melody Ross with her work for Full Circle Exchange in bringing awareness and assistance to those involved in Human Trafficking. Sale is for this weekend only so grab them while you can. You can order your Unity Stamps right here.

Also make sure to check out the brand new LIZ HICKS STUDIOS facebook page that we created to keep track of all of the good stuff we are doing with Liz Hicks Studios. If you didn't know... Liz Hicks Studios is not just me, it is my family as well but mostly me and my husband. This is our families joint effort and I would love for you to check out what we are doing next by checking out our page here.

There is a whole lot of fun things going on this year... this is just the beginning. I hope you enjoyed these cards and the details that I have shared. With explaining them as I did, I hope that you can take this info and find ways to make it useful in your crafting.

Thanks for stopping by!

~Liz Hicks

3 comments: