Thursday, November 7, 2013

ScanNCut Canvas now LIVE!

*Although I am a paid consultant for Brother International, my opinions are my own and are expressed here as follows.

Just a quick announcement to for those friends who own a ScanNCut. ScanNCut Canvas is now LIVE and available for you to create a free log in.

Simply click on the link here to sign up.



What is ScanNCut Canvas?

It is a free cloud based web tool that will allow you to expand the use of your ScanNCut machine.
Do you love using SVG files for your cutting? Now you can convert your SVG's to ScanNCut files in seconds with the use of Canvas.

Brother has created this cloud based web tool to enhance the ease of use of ScanNCut. Although ScanNCut does not require software or a computer, artists of all types will enjoy the editing capabilities of Canvas as well as the additional features that are now available on Canvas. Create an offset margin or draw your own designs with the paths and free hand paths tools. In addition the shapes that are included in the machine are available for use too! Weld, unify, subtract your shapes into creations of your own. Or if you have designs that you love that are in different formats, try image tracing them into a ScanNCut file.

What I love about Canvas is the easy to use interfacing as well the ability to use it where ever I go. I can hop onto my friends computer log in and access my recently edited files. It makes traveling with my ScanNCut machine a whole lot easier not having to take a computer with me everytime. All I need is a USB to save my files to and bring them onto my machine.

So if you have a machine and are interested in Canvas, take a look around and have some fun... I would love to see what you create with this program.

~Liz ♥

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Haven't ordered a ScanNCut yet but sure thinking about it as I didn't like the other product where you buy dies. I was wondering why in the quilt video they had to draw the images first that were already in the machine and then cut it. Couldn't you just pull up the quilt images and cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawing on the fabric would be for those who would benefit from having their seam lines on their fabric to make sure that their seems line up.

      Delete
  2. After you create a design in a SNC how do you convert it to a SVG file to share with others?

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I know we already talked a bit about this on facebook, I just want to write it down here for others than may have this question. As for converting a design to an SVG, currently SNC Canvas does not have this capability.

      Delete
  3. Read the license for CANVAS - any project you upload becomes the property of Brother and you cannot upload any 3rd party images. I was going to buy the scan-n-cut but am now seriously reconsidering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I agree that the sentence reads in an odd way, it wouldn't help Brother to go about "sharing" peoples uploaded projects, since it's not something they would have instruction for or have any idea what the project belongs to.

      When I upload a project to Canvas, it's already gone thru Make the Cut as a for instance to prepare it to make the SVG file, since I create my own patterns. I find it pretty hard to believe that they claim it as property, other than that they need to claim it in order to protect your content itself. It is after all on their website, and it is protected by them for you to use in the future. You can also delete your projects, so anything you leave there would not be a good choice if your concerned about them distributing anything of your's. For me, once I have it in svg, I upload the svg to the site, convert it for fcm, and then download it. I usually delete projects myself when I do the next one.

      Delete
  4. Read the license for CANVAS - any project you upload becomes the property of Brother and you cannot upload any 3rd party images. I was going to buy the scan-n-cut but am now seriously reconsidering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm reading correctly, you cannot use your USB cable to load images that you have already bought from applique sites to this machine? I'm looking for a machine to cut out my applique pieces from my already bought designs so that they are ready and waiting when I need them to applique. I don't want to have to cut them out while on the item I'm appliquing. I hope this all makes sense. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use your usb to import ScanNCut files (.FCM) to your machine. So if you store your designs on your computer or if you convert a file in ScanNCut Canvas this is how you would import these files into your machine. As for working with applique, you can print out a placement stitch and scan this in, and save it as Scan to cut data. This takes under 2 minutes and will recognize your image and them allow you to create this image into a cut file, all under about 2 minutes. Once your design is scanned in, you can access your design in the machine and cut it from your fabric. You can also sew a placement stitch on a piece of muslin and scan this in as well, I have seen users do this. I would just recommend using a dark thread. I have sent info to Brother about bridging this gap for machine applique artists so fingers crossed it won''t take them to long to create some sort of solution. If there is any company that can create this type of technology, I believe it is Brother. I know it is a long process with technology, but I have seen such growth and potential with ScanNCut.

      Delete
  6. I'm looking to load my already bought appliques to a machine that will cut out and they will be ready and waiting on me to grab and once I have stitched out my placement line with my embroidery machine I can just lay cut image on top and not have to cut image out while on item being appliquéd. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do I weld on the scanncut canvas programme as I am struggling to do this

    ReplyDelete