Thursday, April 3, 2008

Happy Autism Awareness Month!!!


I love this time of year. To think that someone thought enough to make April Autism awareness month. I love it!!! As some of you may know, (I don't keep it a secret! LOL!) our sweet son Sawyer was treated for Autism when he was two. For ten months all we knew was 2 hours a day ABA therapy. I know that it was only 2 hours but it took everything out of us. Today, I am a changed women because of what we endured those 10 months. My outlook on life has appreciated. I cannot express enough gratitude to those who came into our lives through this experience. I am forever reminded of them each time I look into Sawyer's eyes and remember the vacancy that use to occupy them. Because of them, my son can tell me he loves me, hug me and kiss me. A mother can never describe how much that is worth!!! Although Sawyer was initially diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Delay with the help of early intervetion, he now is a full functioning 3 1/2 year old. We still have difficulties with speech and emotions but he is AMAZING!!! So thank you, to whoever it was that dedicated this month to families like us, who are just looking for normalcy.



~Liz

3 comments:

  1. He is sooo cute! I love his smile, it's just like yours! I'm so glad that you were blessed with such a wonderful little boy and that you got all the support and help you needed when he was younger. :D
    Erica
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz- you are an amazing mom. You live for your children and always look out for their needs. You deserve to be "loved' and told that you are! (Especially from Sawyer)
    Remember God is good, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz-you are an amazing mom! You live your life to enrich your children. You deserve to be told that you are loved (and often!) especially by Sawyer.
    Remember, God is good, all the time!

    ReplyDelete